How to Fix Windows Error Code x
Windows Error Code x is a common issue that can occur on any version of Windows. This error code can be caused by a variety of reasons, including hardware issues, corrupt system files, malware infections, or outdated drivers. It can be frustrating to encounter this error, as it can prevent you from using your computer normally. In this article, we will discuss different methods to fix Windows Error Code x and get your computer up and running again.
Method 1: Run a Malware Scan
One of the most common reasons for Windows Error Code x is a malware infection. Malware can cause various issues on your computer, including errors and system crashes. Therefore, it’s essential to run a malware scan to detect and remove any malicious programs on your system. Windows has a built-in malware scanner called Windows Defender, but you can also use third-party antivirus software for better protection.
To run a malware scan using Windows Defender, follow these steps:
- Open Windows Security by clicking the Windows Security icon on the taskbar or by searching for it in the Start menu.
- Click on Virus & threat protection.
- Click on Scan options.
- Select Full scan and click on Scan now.
Windows Defender will now scan your entire system for any malware infections. If it finds any, it will remove them automatically. After the scan is complete, restart your computer and check if the Windows Error Code x issue is resolved.
Method 2: Update Drivers
Outdated drivers can also cause Windows Error Code x. Drivers are essential software components that allow your computer’s hardware to communicate with the operating system. If a driver is outdated or corrupted, it can cause various issues, including error codes. Therefore, it’s essential to keep your drivers up to date.
To update your drivers, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager.
- Expand the category of the device you want to update.
- Right-click on the device and select Update driver.
- Choose the option to search automatically for updated driver software.
Windows will now search for the latest driver software and install it automatically. Repeat these steps for all the devices that need updating. After updating your drivers, restart your computer and check if the Windows Error Code x issue is resolved.
Method 3: Run System File Checker
Corrupted system files can also cause Windows Error Code x. System File Checker is a built-in tool in Windows that can scan and repair corrupt system files. To run System File Checker, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + X and select Command Prompt (Admin).
- Type the following command and press Enter:
Windows will now scan your system and repair any corrupt system files. This process may take some time, so be patient. After the scan is complete, restart your computer and check if the Windows Error Code x issue is resolved.
Method 4: Perform a System Restore
If none of the above methods work, you can try performing a system restore. System restore allows you to revert your computer to a previous state when it was working correctly. This can help you fix any issues that occurred after a recent software installation or system update.
To perform a system restore, follow these steps:
- Press Windows key + R and type “rstrui.exe” in the Run dialog box.
- Click on Next.
- Choose a restore point before the Windows Error Code x issue occurred.
- Click on Next and then Finish.
Windows will now restore your system to the selected restore point. This process may take some time, and your computer will restart automatically. After the restore is complete, check if the Windows Error Code x issue is resolved.
Method 5: Reinstall Windows
If none of the above methods work, you may need to reinstall Windows. Reinstalling Windows will erase all the data on your computer, so make sure to back up your important files before proceeding.
To reinstall Windows, follow these steps:
- Insert the Windows installation media (DVD or USB) and restart your computer.
- Press any key to boot from the installation media.
- Choose your language and other preferences, and click on Next.
- Click on Install now.
- Enter your product key and click on Next.
- Accept the license terms and click on Next.
- Choose the Custom installation option.
- Select the partition where you want to install Windows and click on Next.
Windows will now install on your computer. This process may take some time, so be patient. After the installation is complete, check if the Windows Error Code x issue is resolved.
In conclusion, Windows Error Code x can be a frustrating issue to encounter, but there are various methods to fix it. You can run a malware scan, update your drivers, run System File Checker, perform a system restore, or reinstall Windows. By following these methods, you can resolve the Windows Error Code x issue and get your computer up and running again.